LA 7.1 Discussing Variability
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Employ theories of acquisition of a primary and new language in instruction
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 30 Minutes
Teachers can apply their learning about Variability (Types of Proficiencies/ Types of Performances) and individual differences in language learning om determining what next steps will push them to higher-level performance in the secondlanguage.
Students have learned about variability, proficiencies, and performances. They will now clarify their study individually by participating in a whole-class discussion.
- Take out your 6.4 homework including the readings from Wright, video segments 8.1 and 8.2.
- You were assigned to look at a particular student. Join a table group with others who looked at the same critical incident that you did.
- Keep your groups to three or four.
- In your table groups,compare the categories you selected with each other and explain why you chose those in relationship to your student.
- Next, identify ‘sticking points’ you had as you viewed the video, read the material and studied the categories in relationship to your student. Write them down. Discuss them together.
- As the facilitator begins the class wide discussion, be prepared to share the sticking points as questions and the categories you selected and your reasoning behind them.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality