LA 5.1 Feedback About Knowing My EL Student
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Identify and analyze the role of input and interaction patterns to promote language development.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 40 Minutes
Teachers can practice using data using analytic tools to make sense of the data supported by a partner and classmates so they will be able to analyze their own student for the major class product, then applying it to all students learning English.
Students have studied and described a second language learner in their classroom. Through giving and receiving feedback about completion and quality of work and suggestions for improvement, students come to better understand the process for assessing EL student needs as they work to learn through a second language.
- Working in a group of four students divide into 2 pairs, circulate your products from HW 3.4. Each pair will read and provide feedback about the work of the other pair in their group. The pair will work together but separate from the other pair.
- In examining HW 3.4, they will use the“Knowing my second language learner scoring guide” from the homework.
- They will make sure all materials requested are included as well as evaluate the quality of work using the scoring guide students have attached to their work.
- Using the scoring guide record your names at the top along with the name of the person whose work you are reviewing. Now begin with the Completion Checklistat the top of the scoring guide.Complete the checklist and give feedback related to the extent of completion, suggest ways to more completely fulfill the assignment, ways to more clearly organize the work, etc.
- Next the use the quality section of the scoring guide located below the completion checklist. Make judgments about the quality of the work as specified bythe criteria. Write a rationale for your judgement in each area and provide feedback on how to improve the quality of the work in each area. Try not to confuse issues of completion with issues of quality.
- Repeat with the second student’s work.
- Pass the work back to the authorsto read the feedbackand answer any questions the author has.
- Turn in your work to the facilitator. The facilitator will review the peer evaluations and provide feedback as needed.