HW 1.6: The Harvard Dialect Survey
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Know, understand, and use the major concepts, theories, and research related to the nature and acquisition of language and linguistic systems to support English language leaners’ development of literacy.
Assessment: 25 pts.
Due: Session 2
Teachers will compare their own usage and dialect with that of other across the nation and within their own colleague group within the class.
Teachers have discussed factors impacting language usage and are prepared to participate in an activity where they will reflect upon their own usage and dialect.
- Go to the following web site: https://equitypress.org/-YRUT
- You may be asked to log in using your Google or Facebook account or to create a free account with the New York Times.
- Answer the 25 questions regarding your language usage and pronunciation.
- Look at the map with the results of your survey.
- Do you feel your results accurately reflect your language background?
- Be ready to compare your results with those of your colleagues in the class.
- What factors beyond your place of residence do you feel have impacted your present-day dialect?
- Be prepared to share your insights in a whole-group discussion.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality