LA 8.1 Presenting My Knowledge of the Literacy Guidelines for ELs
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Articulate knowledge and skills to construct learning environments that support development of English language proficiency: literacy, academic, and cognitive development.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 80 Minutes
Teachers can communicate their understanding of Literacy Guidelines for ELs to improve colleagues knowledge of how to develop their ELs langauge and literacy skills while increasing their knowledge of content.
Students have learned how to recognize, honor and draw on students prior knowledge and cultural experiences in their teaching. They have learned how to identify where students are in learning language and developing literacy. They know how to design lessons and assessments that elicit student knowledge.
Part A: (20 minutes)
1. The facilitator will assign you in pairs or trios to create a short power point of the principles contained in the Literacy Guidelines for ELLs. Your group will be assigned to either Build, Expand, or Create, and one of the principles listed beneath it.
- Your power point will have no more than five slides.
- Refer to the copy of the literacy guidelines which you will represent on the power point (This link takes you to and then if you scroll down you will find the literacy guidelines tool and an explanatory document).
- Suggested outline of the power point is: Slide 1--title of the guideline and the principle; Slide 2--the relationship between your guideline and principle; Slide 3--explain details relevant to the principle; Slide 4--the relationship between the principle and developing academic language; Slide 5--the relationship between the principle and each aspect of literacy (listening, speaking, reading, writing
2. If you would like to use Prezi or some other application you are familiar with, that is okay.
Part B: (5 minutes per group)
1. The facilitator will call on one group at a time to make their presentation, following the order of the Guidelines on the chart.