HW 6.3 Creating Equity in Literacy Teaching Practices
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Use knowledge and skills to construct learning environments that support development of English language proficiency.
Assessment: 25 pts.
Due: Session 7
Teachers can practice equity in their literacy planning, assessing, and teaching practices.
Teachers have learned about process writing, connecting writing to reading, and authentic writing opportunities. They will now learn about the role of writing and other class activites play in building equity in the classroom.
- Read the summarized articles Embracing the ELLs Home Languages in the Writing Workshop and The Power of Protocols for Equity.
- Use the Equity in Literacy Development worksheet to respond to 3 key ideas from each article that caused your to reflect either positively or negatively. Each response should include and supporting evidence from the article and your reflection (thoughts, feelings, personal experiences).
- Reflect on your current equity practice and answer the following on the worksheet:
- How do I currently plan for, assess, and teach literacy with equity in mind?
- Based on the articles, what role do the Standards for Effective Pedagogy play in my ability to provide equity?
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality