HW 3.5: Beliefs About Poverty
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Communicate a personal acceptance of and acknowledge the dynamics of culture in the lives of all students
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 4
Teachers can better support ELs when they know of multiple issues the familtes and students are part of and discover ways to support and challenge them.
Students have learned about a variety of practices to be used with English Language learners throughout these courses.. As some ELs are also in poverty, they will watch 2 talks
- In this homework, we will reconsider what we believe about children and families in poverty by watching two TED Talks and reading an article summary of the ASCD book, Disrupting Poverty.
- The first TED Talk comes from Mia Birdsong: The Story We Tell about Poverty Isn't True.
- The second talk comes from Rutger Bregman: Poverty Isn't a Lack of Character.
- Take notes as you watch using this worksheet .
- Be prepared to report what you think schools and teachers could do as they work with children in poverty.
- Read the brief summary of the ASCD book Disrupting Poverty from this link and take notes.
- Be ready to discuss the understandings you have come to based on the 2 talks you watched and the summary you read in session 4.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality