HW 1. 2 Engaging Funds of Knowledge
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Employ strategies to empower parents/families to participate in their child’s education.
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 2
Teachers can engage with parents and families beyond the boundaires of sthe school to develop knowledge of students and utilize cultural and family knowledge and skils in their schools and in classroom instruction
Students have learned about issues of cultural difference, funds of knowledge, and how to use it in their classroom. They are ready to eplore family knowledge in their own practice.
Read chapter 6, La Visita, in Funds of Knowledge, pp. 119-129.
- Answer these questions: What were some of the resources Tenery found in her students' homes that can be crawn upon to facilitate her students' academic success?
- List some things that are drawbacks to teachers doing home visits?
- What advantages do you see that could result from your own home visit with a family?
- Go to https://equitypress.org/-PWZ and watch Video Segment 1.1. Scroll down to the menu. Click on Sesson 1 and video 1.1 then scroll to the top of the screen and watch the 20 minute video. You can use AVG 1.1 to follow the video and record notes of your thinking.
Now read chapter 8 in Funds of Knowledge, Empowering Parents of Multicultural Backgrounds, pp. 143-151.
- Answer these questions: What does the author of this chapter means by "parent participation is often poor'? How can the Funds of Knowledge project increase participation from parents in schools?
- Make a list of places you could plan to meet the family of your student. Also list questions you would like to ask them as you visit.
Now make a list of questions you want to ask the family and be sure to invite someone to go with you and whether or not you need a translator. Do not let the student be the translator. Also consider several places where you could meet with the family.