Led by a designated peer facilitator, questions in this protocol are intended to guide and support teacher collaboration to learn to improve instructional conversations so that every student has the opportunity to participate meaningfully. Stages of this process include:
- PLAN: As a team, decide on the ICEP domain of focus. Work together to plan and prepare lessons focused on specific learning goals and ICEP practices of your choosing. Predict what will happen with students as a result of your lesson.
- DO: Implement the ICEP lesson that you planned for your classroom. Decide how team members will observe it, including who will observe which class and when. The observed teacher should have the strongest voice in making these decisions.
- ANALYZE: Examine evidence to determine how well student learning goals and ICEP predictions were realized. Debrief what went well and why (based on what evidence?) and what specifically from the lesson needs further work.
- REVISE: Reason together to identify changes needed—including how and why—to meet shared goals. Decide together whether, how, and why to adjust goals for the next cycle.
Two forms of the PDAR protocol document are provided below. The first is intended to be printed and filled out by hand. The second is formatted for online editing through Google Docs. Instructions to make a personal copy of the online form are included.
Instructions to Copy and Edit the Online Form:
- Click the "Open in Google Docs" link to open the file in a new tab.
- Click "File" in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Click "Make a Copy" from the drop-down options.
- Name the file (e.g., adding the date of the lesson you are planning for).
- Select the specific folder to create the copy in OR click "Make a Copy" to save it to your drive.
- Type responses into provided text boxes.