Learning Pathway: Influential Women
Building Democracy For All is designed so that teachers and students can follow different learning pathways as they explore the material in the book. Rather than proceeding sequentially through the standards, the learning pathways invite a thematic approach. Other learning pathways include: Black Lives Matter, Student Rights, Election 2020, Media Literacy, and Current Events.
Building Democracy for All Chapters
Topic 1: The Philosophical Foundations of the United States Political System
- Standard 3: UNCOVER: Mary Wollstonecraft, Olympe de Gouges, and the Rights of Women
- Standard 3: ENGAGE: Who Were the History’s Important Women Change-Makers in Math, Science, and Politics?
- Standard 4: UNCOVER: Anne Hutchinson and Women’s Roles in Colonial America
Topic 2: The Development of United States Government
- Standard 1: INVESTIGATE: The Seneca Falls Convention and the Declaration of Sentiments
- Standard 1: UNCOVER: Eleanor Roosevelt and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Standard 4: UNCOVER: Abigail Adams, Mercy Otis Warren and the Political Roles for Women
Topic 3: Institutions of United States Government
- Standard 1: UNCOVER: Shirley Chisholm, African American Presidential Candidate
- Standard 3: ENGAGE: Can a Woman Be Elected President or Vice-President of the United States?
- Standard 3: UNCOVER: Electing LGBTQIA Legislators
Topic 4: The Rights and Responsibilities of Citizens
- Standard 3: UNCOVER: Women’s Political Participation Around the World
- Standard 7: INVESTIGATE: Frances Perkins and Margaret Sanger
- Standard 10: INVESTIGATE: The Women’s Rights Movement
- Standard 10: UNCOVER: Queen Liliuokalani and the American Annexation of Hawaii
- Standard 11: INVESTIGATE: Cesar Chavez, Dolores Huerta, and the Delano Grape Strike and Boycott
- Standard 11: UNCOVER: Claudette Colvin and Browder v. Gayle
- Standard 12: UNCOVER: Mother Jones and the March of the Mill Children
Topic 5: The Constitution, Amendments, and Supreme Court Decisions
- Standard 2: UNCOVER: Alice Paul and the Equal Rights Movement
- Standard 3: UNCOVER: Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad
- Standard 4: INVESTIGATE: Gender - Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- Standard 4: UNCOVER: Helen Keller, Author and Political Activist
- Standard 4: ENGAGE: When Can Girls and Boys Compete Together in Athletic Events?
- Standard 6: INVESTIGATE: Due Process and Equal Protection: Mendez v. Westminster (1947)
Topic 6: The Structure of Massachusetts State and Local Government
- Standard 4: UNCOVER: Marriage Equality Court Cases
- Standard 6: UNCOVER: Gender-Inclusive Language in State Constitutions and Laws
- Standard 8: ENGAGE: What Else Besides Equal Pay Laws is Needed to Eliminate Gender Gaps in Wages and Jobs?
Topic 7: Freedom of the Press and News/Media Literacy