Session 3: Beginning to Develop an MSDLA
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Demonstrate knowledge and use of the Utah English Language Proficiency Standards in selection of programs,practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing ESL and content instruction, including classroom, organization,teaching strategies for development and integrating language skills, and choosing and adapting classroom resources
Assessment: 100 pts.
Preservice teachers will be able to develop initial designs for their MSDLAs and draw on student funds of knowledge and strategies and techniques to begin to create MSDLAs.
Students have learned about MSDLAs and funds of knowledge, selected content standards, developed content and language objectives. They are ready to consider strategies and techniques for developing comprehension and guiding assessment .
1. (10 minutes) Share your favorite thing or something interesting/new you learned from the homework.
2. (30-40 minutes) Group SEP Presentation. Group assigned to Language & Learning Development (LLD) will present.
3. (80 minutes)Break out Room Activities:
- As you work add details to your WIP.
- Begin by sharing your graphic representations of Funds of Knowledge--construct a shared one or select one constructed by a group member to share in the debrief at the end of class. Develop a shared definition of funds of knowledge and identify funds of knowledge members of your group have.
- Build your Activity Web linked here for your MSDLA.
- Review the Literacy and Assessment Marketplaces for Activity Ideas. Divide the lists equally among group members. Literacy market place and the Assessment Marketplace . Each member of the group share your favorite activities that you think might work for your centers. Make notes on your WIP which look the most promising.
- Share what you learned about developing content and language objectives. Try to build a language objective for one of your centers if you have time.
4. (30 minutes) Closing: have students share definitions and graphics of fund of knowledge.
- The teacher will share a segment of the Xuan Video and student will identify potential funds of knowledge. Login in with the username: tellcases and the password: videos . Then scroll down to TELL 450, and click on Second Language Parent and Family Involvement Case. Scroll down to Xuan, and choose the two videos.
- Share their own funds of knowledge and ideas about funds of knowledge the students they are building MSDLAs might have.
- Review homework.
- Homework 3.1 SIOP Chapters 5 Strategies & 6 Interaction
- Homework 3.2 VideoEthnography Challenging Activity Study
- Homework 3.3 Looking for Resources for the MSDLA
- Homework 3.4 Developing Understanding for Vocabularly Teaching
- The Challenging Activity Group meets with the teacher after class for fifteen minutes.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality