Demonstrate knowledge and use of the Utah English Language Proficiency Standards in selection of programs,practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing ESL and content instruction, including classroom, organization,teaching strategies for development and integrating language skills, and choosing and adapting classroom resources
Assessment: 100 pts.
TA: Class Session
Students will select standards and begin to design MSDLAs that attend to ELL's learning needs and implement the principles that guide best practices in regular, day-to-day teaching with ELs.
Students have reviewed the relevant TELL Tools. They have learned about MSDLAs. They are ready to enage in designing curriculu
1. (10 minutes) Share what you learned from the Homework.
2. (10 minutes)MSDLA Assignment: Through the chat, post any questions you have about the MSDLA assignment, so that we can answer your questions as we review the assignment.
- We will discuss how the course is organized around the MSDLA project. We will review or learn about each segment and develop the whole MSDLA across time over the sessions.
- We will talk about the critical elements of the MSDLAs?
- We will discuss how MSDLA activity centers differ from others. How do centers (ECE/Elementary)
3. (30 minutes). The Contextualization Group Presentation.
4. Bible Story activity: Using a Bible Story or Fairy Tale talk about how to build an initial overview of your MSDLA using the
5. Meeting with our mentor teacher: We have partnered with a mentor teacher from one of the partnership districts. You will need your WIP to take notes as s/he talks to you. S/he will talk about her class and will introduce the standards you will be designing your MSDLA's around. Students may ask questions that may help in developing MSDLA curriculum.
6. Choose a standard from those that the teacher proposed.
7. In break out groups, you will work together on the student position which are the details the teacher revealed in presenting her class. (use the MSDLA WIP and fill in the details she shares about her students and also use what you learned studying developmental benchmarks in last week's homework to fill out these elements of the student position).
8. Return to main session to debrief and review homework for next time.
- Homework 2.1--read the next two chapters (3 Building Background & 4 Comprehensible Input) from Making Content Comprehensible and respond to the reading guide.
- Homework 2.2--review the language and literacy development study on your media case--use the same teacher you did last week.
- Homework 2.3 Watch the video's on funds of knowledge (details in homework due next time). Construct a graphic that represents your understanding of funds of knowledge. As you watch the video, consider your own homes and the funds of knowledge they brought to school.
- Homework 2.4 Watch the video on Inclusive Pedagogy as a tool and review the documents from the TELL TOOLS book (the Inclusive Pedagogy Framework and the Explanation document)
- Homework 2.5 Creating a language objective readings from Colorin Colorado
- The Language and Learning Development Group needs to meet with the teachers for 10 minutes at the end of class.