HW 4.2: Understanding the Myths and Realities of Enrollment
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Identify the multiple factors impacting the school experience of language minority students, including cognitive/academic, social/ affective, and linguistic development issues.
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 5
Teachers can work from the perspective of an informed educator as they teach English Language learners in their classes and schools.
Students have explored the Inclusive Pedagogy characteristic of guiding principles. In preparation for exploring the characteristic of essential policy, students are asked to read myths and realities about four topics.
- The facilitator will assign you to read one of the following sections in the textbook Myths and Realities:
- Enrollment (pages 8-11) and Native Language Instruction (pages 12-16) [6 myths]
- Placement (pages 28-45) [8 myths]
- Staffing and Staff Development (pages 86-98)[7 myths]
- The facilitator will also assign you to become an expert in one of the myths in the section of the book you will read. For your assigned myth, create a graphical representation (on 8-1/2 by 11 paper) to share with colleagues at your school that illustrates the myth and show it is dispelled by the reality.
- Be prepared to share your graphical representation with your peers during Session 5.