HW 4.1: Teacher Reflection
Acting and Reflecting on Legal Mandates, Changing Demographics, Opening Opportunity to My Students
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Know, understand, and use the major concepts, principles, theories, and research related to the nature and role of culture and cultural groups.
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 5
Teachers can reflect on the learning activities in the session and explore ways to integrate the modeled strategies and content into their own pedagogy.
Teachers have participated in the fourth session of the ESL endorsement. They are now ready to reflect on the activities of the session and find ways to incorporate them into their own teaching.
- As you think about your teaching this week consider the following questions:
- What are some of the changing demographics you have noticed in your community over the past 5-10 years?
- What were your over-all thoughts from the article “Poverty PhDs”?
- What were the biggest surprises as you studied the article on supreme court decisions and the dear colleagues memo focused on obligations of schools for providing quality education to ELs?
- What action did you take after this session in your practice or how did your change in thinking impact your beliefs. Begin with your experience, your wonder (questions) or the new idea that lead to your change and then include each of the elements of the Reflection Model: personal voice (I), description of an experience, link to knowledge, questions raised. Allow yourself to reveal your emotion. Review the documents linked to support you in your reflection.
- Some helps include thinking about what event either before, during, or after some action you took in teaching sticks in your mind. Think about based on this session --What did you learn, unlearn, and relearn this week?
- Be sure to submit to your facilitator through e-mail or the course management system.
- REMEMBER: In HW 1. 5 you reviewed the guidelines for the final project. As you reflect this week, did you have an aha about one of the characteristics of Inclusive Pedagogy? If so remember to save the artifact and your explantion so that it will be available when you construct your final portfolio.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality