HW 3.1: Teacher Reflection
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Demonstrate how culture affects language development and academic achievement.
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 4
Teachers can reflect on the learning activities in the session and explore ways to integrate the modeled strategies and content into their own pedagogy.
Teachers have participated in the third session of the ESL endorsement. They are now ready to reflect on the activities of the session and find ways to incorporate them into their own teaching.
- Think of what you learned this week. Consider these questions:
- How can looking at language through multiple perspectives influence you as a teacher?
- How can a perspective of deficit theory or resistance theory affect your classroom and what are some things you can do to overcome deficit theory or respond differently when resistance theory might be a viable explanation for student behavior?
- How can you use Funds of Knowledge to enhance your classroom instruction?
- What action did you take after this session in your practice or how did your change in thinking impact your beliefs. Use the Reflection Model. You can begin with your experience, your wonder (questions) or the new idea that lead to your change and then include each of the elements: personal voice (I), description of an experience, link to knowledge, questions raised. Allow yourself to reveal your emotion. Review the documents linked to support you in your reflection.
- Some helps include thinking about what event either before, during, or after some action you took in teaching sticks in your mind. Think about based on this session --What did you learn, unlearn, and relearn this week?
- Consider as you complete your reflection what are the next steps you will take in your practice? What do you hope will result?
- REMEMBER: In HW 1. 5 you reviewed the guidelines for the final project. As you reflect this week, did you have an aha about one of the characteristics of Inclusive Pedagogy? If so remember to save the artifact and your explantion so that it will be available when you construct your final portfolio.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality